Best of Germany (Summer 2018)
About Frankfurt am Main
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Drive along the Unter den Linden past the Humboldt University and Opera. See the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag building.
- 2017 marked 500 years since Martin Luther nailed his theses to the door of the Castle Church. See the church and visit the town where he was the town preacher and Professor of Moral Theology.
- Explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- See the city walls and tour the Old Town with its charming stone and timbered dwellings.
- See the university, Victory Arch, Marienplatz and the Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Stop to marvel at the opulent interior of the Wieskirche.
- Explore the town and see the theatre where the Passion Play has been performed since 1634 and the next performance will be in 2020.
- Cross the causeway to this delightful island town in the middle of Lake Constance.
- See the Deutsches Eck Monument in Koblenz and enjoy the scenic vistas from the Niederwald Monument.
- The Romantic Road, Bavarian Alps, Alpine Road, Black Forest, German Clock Route, Neckar Valley
- Rothenburg: With a master artisan to learn about the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen, followed by a tasting.
- Rothenburg: Select one of Rothenburg's excellent restaurants, each with its own distinctive ambience and cuisine, for your Dine-Around Evening. They're everything from local Franken specialities to international comfort food to choose from.
- Villingen-Schwenningen: Savour a delicious Farm-to-Table dinner in the scenic Black Forest region, famous for its culinary delights.
- Mainz: Take a seat on the terrace for stunning views of the Rhine. Tantalise your taste buds and toast to the culmination of your Germanic journey during a sumptuous Celebration Dinner complete with all the trimmings and served with wine.
- Dining Summary: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Black Forest: Watch skilled artisans at work and learn about the history and ancient techniques of clock-making.
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Berlin: In the heart of West Berlin, right by Kurfürstendamm, the stylish Swissotel Berlin features a remarkable collection of contemporary German artworks, state-of-the-art technology and luxurious amenities.
- Rothenburg: Located in the historic centre of medieval Rothenburg, the Hotel Eisenhut consists of four patrician houses from the 12th and 18th centuries, furnished with select antiques and original artworks.
Top Rated Highlights
- Berlin: Berlin has thrived since the wall fell in 1989, to become one of the trendiest cities in the world. our Local Expert will show you some of the main highlights of this historic city including the Memorial Church, Tiergarten, the Reichstag building, Brandenburg Gate, Humboldt University, State Opera and Museum Island.
- Dresden: Explore with your Local Expert and see the Frauenkirche, ‘The Procession of the Dukes’ mosaic mural on the Royal Palace, the cathedral, Semper Opera House and Zwinger Palace.
- Neuschwanstein: Visit the archetypal fairytale castle that allegedly inspired many of Walt Disney's castles. Led by a local historian, walk through the magnificent halls, take in the lavish decoration and enjoy spectacular views.
- Heidelberg: Venture inside the magnificent castle built in red sandstone, overlooking the Student Prince’s town. See the massive Heideleberg Tun built into the cellar in 1591, visit the Apothecary Museum and enjoy panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley.
- Rhine Valley: Cruise beneath the semi-ruined castles and terraced vineyards. Sleepy villages slip by as you saunter upstream to the Lorelei Rock where the enchantress lured sailors to their doom.
- Oktoberfest: Strap on your Lederhosen for a visit to the world's greatest Volksfest in Munich on select departures.